18 October, 2010

Mixtape Monday: October 18

My parents came to visit this weekend. WOOHOO! Little Iris was very happy to see them as she is guaranteed to have:
  • new clothes
  • new toys
  • tons of stickers from Grandma's work
  • money from Grandpa
  • the ability to stay up super late
  • take a break from her daily chores, and
  • EAT LOTS OF CANDY!!!
 Iris is always euphorically giddy in their presence. She loves to entertain them with song and dance, her knowledge of things and her emphatic use of hand gestures.


After they left she asked me what music Grandma and Grandpa listened to when I was little. Sometimes children ask the right kinds of questions, and just in time for my Monday post!


This mix is a bit for my parents as it is the music they love, a bit for me as it is the music that shaped childhood, and a bit for Iris so she can understand my Mom and Dad through music. When the story of how my parents' entire Bad Company records were stolen at my Dad's 10 year high school reunion resurfaces, she will completely understand why they still tell it with unforgiving venom.


P.S.--Whoever stole Mom and Dad's Bad Company records--you're a dick.


Mix: Grandma & Grandpa's Boogie Woogie


"Sweet Emotion" by Aerosmith (The first time I heard the full version on the radio, I was eight years old. We're driving in the car, my Mom screams "Oh hell yeah!" then instructs me to roll down my window. We drive down the road, radio blaring and totally rocking out. This was one of the first times I understood how music can, like a desert shaman, totally transform people.)


"Stepping Stone" by The Monkees (My Mom had a big crush on Micky Dolenz. I was always a Davy Jones girl myself.)


"Shooting Star" by Bad Company (No seriously, whoever did steal these records, you really are a dick.)


"Sitting" by Cat Stevens (My brothers and I will always be eternally grateful for Mom's Cat Stevens records.)


"Get Back" by The Beatles (I distinctly remember driving home on FM-949 at 11-years-old when my Dad explained to me what this song was about. Good thing music is here to help parents explain subjects like trans-gendered culture.)


"Summer Breeze" by Seals & Crofts (This song always reminds me of Mom ironing shirts on a Saturday.)


"We're An American Band" by Grand Funk Railroad (My Dad has the GREATEST concert stories about this band I have ever heard.)


"Strange Magic" by Electric Light Orchestra (My Mom has seen them in concert, and yes, I am jealous.)


"Texas" by Chris Rea (On the lyric "I say Texas, she says 'What?' my brother and I would yell "I say Texas, she says, 'BUTT!'' Kids.)


"Make Me Smile" by Chicago (I could stare at their album cover art for days).


"Black Water" by The Doobie Brothers (I recall a great sing-along at a junior high dance with Coach Jacobs and Mrs. Mattingly. Three part harmony at the end of the song and all.)


"America" by Simon & Garfunkel (This song is one of my absolute favorites.)

No comments:

Post a Comment