07 October, 2010

The Reason

This is my wee bairn. She has my eyes. The sass she gets from her father.


She was born near Christmas, and she is the greatest gift of my life. I am beside myself most of the time in her presence. She is compassionate, forthright, appropriately blunt and can sing Cyndi Lauper with such moxie.

I must be quite candid--I never wanted children. This had nothing to do with carbon footprints or the anxiety I still experience seeing a family with a stroller the size of a mid-size sedan. Very early in adulthood I created the undeserved notion I was not hardwired for mommyhood. I assumed I would make a terrible mother because I didn't like the smell of warm breast milk or the invasion of my sacred sleep. I liked living life with passion, yet no one tells you kids provide exactly that. My little lady reminds me constantly that right now is the moment that matters, and the one I sometimes expend so little energy to experience.

Thanks Little Lady. You are the real thing.

3 comments:

  1. The wee balm is awesome, and that list of quotes you posted from her was great. Can't wait to hear what she sings next!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this little glimpse inside your world :) She is the best. I miss her. Well - all of you of course!

    ReplyDelete